Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I did it

I did it. I quit my day job. I had something else lined up, but there’s been a, uh, glitch. So, here I sit, unemployed for eight weeks. No unemployment (I quit). Some savings (maybe 4 months). I should be worried but for some inexplicable reason, I’m really not. It felt right to quit and it feels right not to be worried. It feels like an adventure.
My day job sucked. I worked at a hedge fund rife with assholes. I didn’t mind the work so much as the people. And not even most of the people, just the few flaming farts at the top of the dung heap. At the end they had me doing work in accounting and I am not an accountant so, that part was a drag. I mean, yes, I get that the numbers need to be all matchy-matchy, but what if they aren’t? I didn’t know enough about any of it to solve my own problems, which for me really is key. I’m a problem solver, which is why I am such a kick-ass office manager.
So, one day, (Why, yes, yes it was a Monday, how did you know?) I just picked up my purse and coat, went to lunch, and never came back. I e-mailed my boss and told her what a turd she and my manager both were. Trust me, they were colossal turds. I’ll go into more of that later. Maybe. I’m sort of over it now though. Eight weeks to overcome the PTSD-induced rage feels about right. So now I’m faced with the delicious dilemma of What To Do Next?
Oh, right, so I did have this job lined up, which is part of the reason I felt so footloose and fancy free as to just walk out on my old job. However, this NEW job required a background check, fingerprints and all, and that was the aforementioned glitch. Apparently, (who knew?) I have some sort of criminal thingy on my record from like 25 years ago when I was running fast and loose in the lovely City of Angels. But it is tied to someone else’s name. Yeah, seems messy. So, I need to look into that. I promise, more on that later for sure.
In the meantime though I DO need to figure something out. I do need some positive cash flow. I mean, I have a mortgage, a kid, and pudgy wiener dog to support. Not to mention my own hobbies and habits that need care and feeding. I did do a pretty good job of eliminating the excess right off the bat though. I sold my newish car and bought my mom’s older-ish car (no interest financing, thanks mom!), I dropped my gym membership since my kid declared he was done with swimming lessons (“Mom, I just want to make it through the holidays,” he wailed. Really? Because…it is April...??? He makes me laugh.), I actually started LOOKING at the prices in the grocery store (crazy, I know), and I explained very gently to my son, “Mommy doesn’t have a job. No more toys. Go outside and play with a stick.”
So as you can see, I have my expenses totally under control. Other than that though, things are pretty Undecided. The adventure continues…
-Jenny, Undecided
04/10/12

No comments:

Post a Comment