Sunday, April 29, 2012

reset

I think I need a reset button. Not to go back in time and change shit, (that would a time machine, duh) but to just get a fresh start starting today. (Ooh, speaking of which, if you get a chance to watch the movie Repeaters, you should. It's on Netflix.) A reset button would just sort of put a hard stop to everything that is going on so you can take a fresh look and see if things are going the way you want them to. For example, if I hit my Reset Button today, I would NOT be going back to the Pink Cubicles of Boredom tomorrow. I would be back to staying home and thinking about going back to work again. I want a do-over, okay? There has got to be another way to do this, besides schlepping away in the sub-basement of a bank listening to my cubemate talk about what she had for dinner over and over and over ("prime rib with a loaded baked potato AND loaded sweet baked potato." You'd think it was the last supper.).

My boyfriend, The CPA, has a genius idea. We (which means I) should write a book on retiring before you are ready. I asked him how we would support ourselves in this before-we-are-ready-retirement and he said that was the genius part - I would write the book and we'd live off the money from that. Now I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure he is missing something in his plan. Like content. He said we could just make stuff up. I am going to major in CREATIVE writing after all, right? It's not a bad idea. I've read tons of books and blogs and articles on retiring early. It isn't so much that I want to retire though, it is just that I want work that is meaningful, pays the bills, and doesn't take more than 20 hours a week of my time. Oh, and I want to do it from home. What? I refuse to believe it is out of the realm of possibility.

Everyone has a different vision of retirement anyways so you really have to define it for yourself before you can go about trying to achieve it and live it. I don't see myself jetsetting around living the high life. I would just like to be able to choose on a day-to-day basis what I am going to do that day. Am I going to work? Am I going to mow my lawn? Am I going to volunteer? Am I going to drink a bottle (okay, box) of wine and watch a Walking Dead marathon? I want choices, that's all. I don't feel like I'm really asking all that much. I want out of the rat race, not he human race. I just have to figure out how to make it happen. And I will. I always land on my feet (or my back). The adventure continues...

-Jenny, Undecided

1 comment: